Our baby

Stationery card
View the entire collection of cards.

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Deep in the Heart of TX~!

This Thanksgiving, I've discovered the joys of a rough economy! I didn't think it was possible, but I"ve found the silver lining to the raincloud!

After 2 years as an Academic Counselor, and much debate, prayer, & thought, I quit my job and set out, full of faith and confidence that teaching is where i needed to be. It took about 6 weeks to obtain a substitute teaching license and be hired. Due to the economy though, apparently eveyone and their mothers are trying to get sub teaching jobs now. Meaning...I only get a job 2-3 days a week. One week, I didn't even get one. That's a lot of days in a row waking up at 5:30 AM for a job that falls through! To frustrate problems further, the paycheck I finally recieved BOUNCED. The agency paying me didn't have enough funds for the work I had done! WHAT ON EARTH?! Holiday jobs were not hiring me either, mainly due to the fact that I wouldn't work Sundays.

Right about this time, I took off for a family vacation back East, and then back to Texas. Since the begining of the trip, I'd been anxious to get back to AZ and find a job before my January full-time one kicks in.

And that's when a sweet little deal was offered. My very generous mom offered to employ me if I'd get a few things organized for her. A few quick calls to American Airlines, and I had a changed day of departure! I've LOVED being back in Texas with the fam so far, and don't regret the decision to stay on a bit longer and work with them. It's such a quaint little town, especially since I am use to the "city-life" of Phoenix (ha--like Ahwatukee is "city life"!).

In Phoenix, I just expect anywhere I go will take 20 minutes to get there. Doesn't matter if it's 20 miles on the freeway, or 5 miles thru a zillion stoplights. It just takes time, expect it. Here...well, I remembered everything being farther apart! I keep missing exits because they sneak up on me so quick! I jumped on the highway yesterday (a little 2-lane thing in a field), realized I was about to miss my exit, and went across 2 lanes to get to the exit. THere was a semi probably about 4 car-lengths behind me. And he HONKED! I seriously had to laugh--I've been cut off much worse in the city, and no one would have even blinked if they'd seen me do that in Phoenix! I have to admit though, the drivers are a lot friendlier here. The friendly wave characteristic of Texas towns is seen at nearly every intersection I hit. It's a slower-paced, more patient way of driving and treating your neighbors. Kinda cool.

I love the radio stations here. THe mix station stinks. It really only plays 80's all the time. The country stations though....sigh! Heaven on earth! The songs are not the fast-paced party-gone-crazy country songs they so often play in Phoenix, but just classics I grew up with & regular hits. Actually...more classics, and modern "Texas Country" (a sort of mix between rock, texas swing, and country). I dunno, it rocks, I love listening to it! I think the best part about the radio though is that the scenary outside my window MATCHES the feel of the song. As I drive along "That bluebonnet highway", with a few barbedwire fences here or there, or just seeing the open planes of Texas with that amazingly vast blue sky....SIGH! It's the pure definition of a George Strait country song! The men seem to match the coutnry songs too. I've had an eye-full of country boys down here, and I have to admit, it makes my heart do a little pitter-patter!

The best part by far of my little "vacation" is my brother David. At 6 years old, he is a whole bundle of fun! He still has the laugh that has been so distinctly his since a baby--I LOVE his laugh! He only lets it out too when being tickled or teased :) He has a mischevous sense of humor, and calm, though playful nature. We're falling more into brother-sister roles these days with teasing and annoying each other....but we're both so deprived of this kind of attention, we just bask in it now! He's seriously the coolest little kid on the planet!

Needless to say, I am really enjoying this slow-paced vacation & time with family. I do miss my friends in Phoenix enough to go back though, so no worries Phoenix! :) For now though, I'm going to continue being Deep in the Heart!

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! I miss good ole' texas too and can only imagine how fun it is to be not only in texas but also spending more time with your family. Keep enjoying it!

Beth said...

I heard you were in Austin! (your blog told! :) So sad we missed each other! Are you coming back out for christmas? I'll be there the...18th I think! Take care of that cute bun in the oven!! :)